Monday, November 29, 2010

Sweat for Smiles: rebuilding a home

From left to right: Melisa, her daughter Luz, and her daughter Nacha standing in the back of the house area where we have dug up her old pipes and built the new pipe trenches.

By: Tierra entre de los Ojos
The first thing you need to understand is just how hard it is to get in on a construction project here. Volunteers at Pisco Sin Fronteras (PSF) are amazing. Every person is looking for hard work. Every individual wants to make a difference. And everybody sweats buckets just to see the smiles left on the faces of the people with whom we work.


Two weeks ago I was finally able to edge my way onto a project called, “Melisa’s Pipes.” Melisa is a woman living in Pisco with her husband and four children. A few years ago she inherited a small plot of land and a modest home from her mother, though modest doesn’t do justice to the bamboo walls and tarp-roof under which the family lives. In the 2007 earthquake, the pipes running below Melisa’s home burst. For three years the family lived over open sewage; and toilet water and waste seeped to the surface of the dirt floor on which her children sleep. Over the last three years, each of Melisa’s children have suffered from typhoid fever, which is a disease caused by the ingestion of fecal matter.

When I arrived at Melisa´s home for the first time, I looked at what lay before me and my heart sank. The dirt floor upon which they lived and slept had three huge puddles filled with trash and sewage that had seeped up from below.
Her children sat in the back yard playing and laughing, and Melisa greeted us with a smile. When we began to dig the trench for the new pipes, I felt as though I was digging into a landfill. With every shovel full of dirt, came candy wrappers, chicken bones, and old clothing. As we uncovered the old pipe system, we were overwhelmed by the stench of rotting feces and urine. With the hard work of 14 volunteers, we were able to dig the trenches and replace the pipes in a week and a half. What is most amazing though, is that every volunteer helping Melisa for the last two weeks has done so, every day, with excitement and without a single complaint. The first day digging the trenches, I don’t think I put my shovel down for 3 hours straight.
When I finally looked up, I saw a line of volunteers covered in dirt, dripping with sweat, and laughing. One boy had taken a break to put on a dance show while three others backed him up with a song in cock-eyed harmony. Another had gone to get us all cold, sweet, delicious orange soda (my favorite!). We were having a great time, and all the while Melisa dug hard, raked evenly, and sweat by our side.
As volunteers we are here to help. We are enthusiastic because we know it makes a difference. When I leave Melisa´s house at the end of the day she smiles so wide she can barely open her eyes. She kisses me on the cheek and I can just barely see the hint of a tear in the corner of her eye.

We finished Melisa’s pipes last Thursday. When we were in the process of leveling the floor, PSF’s director, TBC, came to give Melisa news. PSF volunteers had raised enough money, including a large donation from two volunteers who started the project, for Melisa to also have a concrete floor and a new modular home built for her. Shortly after TBC left, Melisa came to me, thanking me, the rest of the volunteers, and PSF for helping her and her family. I could tell she was fighting back tears as she gave me a hug and said, “gracias, son mis angeles” (thank you, you are my angels).

Last week I had a skype conversation with the Edge Academy students. One student asked me if I believe in Karma and if I believe that the work we do helps people to be happier and, in turn, they pass on their joy to others. My answer was yes, and Melisa helps reinforce this belief everyday. Since our work started two weeks ago, more of Melisa’s friends and family have shown up to help everyday. Her neighbors offered us their bathrooms while we were fixing Melisa’s pipes, her sister cooked lunch for us, and her father-in-law helped us fill buckets of water for concrete today.
When we walk through Pisco, everyone recognizes us as PSFers. We are pretty much the only gringos in the city and we are always covered in dirt from head to toe. They stare because we are dirty, sweaty, and different, but they always smile and say hello because I believe they appreciate the help we offer in rebuilding their city.






20 comments:

  1. This is an amazing article. You ladies are spreading the light! :) Much Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *It is so nice that you are giving your personal time and energy to help rebuild Melissa's house.

    *What is your favorite part of working on this house?

    *How did you work for 3 hours straight on this project? You must be really motivated!!!

    (Rob's Lit Workshop)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow how did you not stop working for 3 hours I can't go 2 hours without some stretching I stretch when I'm listening and asking questions during our skypes with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant believe that you didn't put down a shovel for three hours. I wouldn't be able to go for one half hour without a break.

    I also can't believe that people were sleeping right next to urine and poop. the thought just grosses me out. I probably wouldn't be able to last 2-3 days there. How long have you been there?

    Your blogs are really interesting. :) When are you posting your next one? I am really interested in your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are their lots of animals running around as well- like rats and stuff?

    We are so glad you are there- keep up the good work and keep giving the people hope. When people are hopeless they do not know where to start.

    You are doing a great job and you are a big help to the environment. We all wish we could help more.

    Is there other families or poor people on the streets? Does it look similar to Haiti? How many people live in this city? How many other homes were destroyed like Melisa's?

    You said that the family and friends began to help when you were there- where were they prior? Also, we are wondering where the supplies and water came from to rebuild the house?

    Do most house there have a working sewage system with running water and flush toilets- do they know any other way of living?
    Where are you going to next? We cannot wait to hear about it!

    Reading this once again reminds us how fortunate we are to have water, plumbing and the resources we have to recover quickly from natural disasters.

    Karma is cool isn't it!! We are doing our own fundraisers here- collecting food supplies for our food shelf, Christmas gifts for kids and pet supplies. We have also sol many more shirts and will be sending the money this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really nice of you guys. It really inspired me, and you must of given people hope! You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!! :) Liam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is an amazing thing you are doing to help members of the community!! Some quick questions:

    -How many other families are living this way in Pisco?
    -If they had the money, would this be something they could do on their own?
    -What makes them eligible for them to receive help from PSF? Are there any requirements? How do you decide on which people to help when?
    -Will Melisa's children recover from Typhoid Fever? Is there a cure?

    Rylee and Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good that you are helping these people. y did it take so long to geat into a progit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its amazing what people can do by working together

    ReplyDelete
  10. I relay liked what and how you helped for nothing in return.......THAT IS AWESOME!(:

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is sssooooo sad i cant believe that all that stuff was in their i feel bad for them for living like that its so gross to live in those conditions and i congratulate you on fixing it even though its one family and i congratulate you on fixing that it was definitely imprinted into my brain.


    -julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel really sad when I read this! Those pour kids sleeping on the floor and sewage is just not right. I'm really glad that people are helping out and I think every one who is helping is a truly awesome and caring person!!
    How do these kids feel living like this?
    Are they happy?
    How did you feel when you saw all of this?
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. we feel so bad for the people who don't have TO sleep on trash and and sleep with open sewer's i am very happy for that family but said for the other's i hope all of them, will have a safe and sound shelter. one question i have is are the others in serious danger?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, its great that you helped these people with such enthusiasm and motivation. I feel really bad that Her kids suffered from typhoid and sleeping on floors with feces all over it. I wish i could do something to help these kids. About how deep was the trench you had to dig? Are they going to use the earth bag method for Melisa's house so that it will be earth-quake prone?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I think it's sad that children have to sleep on floors with feces all over it and suffer from typhoid. I think what you guys are doing for Melisa's family is great. I think it's impressive though that her children still laugh and play with each other in such conditions. It's pathetic that we Americans are so spoiled and still complain all the time, and these children have almost nothing and can be filled with joy. Digging must have been nasty, I couldn't have done that without complaining about the stench, or how I was getting dirty. If someone openly did all that for me I'd be speechless, but I never hold back tears, For I just never seem to cry about this stuff, keep up the great work dudettes!

    --Ian 8D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. This is amazing. It's great to hear about all the good work you're doing. It's really appalling that people are having to live in these conditions, while up here everyone has so much. Do you have a favorite project o far? I hope that you guys are able to keep doing such great work, and that you continue to be healthy. Another great post, and I can't wait to hear about your newest escapades.

    -Rose
    @->->--

    ReplyDelete